Celebrating the achievements of 40 inspiring people and projects
Some of the Tweed’s most deserving environmental champions took home trophies at Tweed Shire Council’s inaugural Tweed Sustainability Awards showcase, held on 15 November in Murwillumbah.
The awards highlighted a range of environmental initiatives active in the Tweed, and to go with the theme, everything involved in the awards was done with sustainability in mind, including the trophies crafted from reclaimed timber, the recycled or local dress code and food from locally sourced and native ingredients.
Mayor of Tweed, Councillor Katie Milne said this community Sustainability Awards event, which is a first of its kind for Tweed, has been a great opportunity for Council and the community to express gratitude and acknowledge the achievements of forty inspiring people and projects.
“Our huge congratulations and heartfelt thank you goes out to all the nominees for rising to the challenge of addressing our biodiversity crisis and climate emergency,” Cr Milne said.
“They are an inspiring group of people, who are teaching and leading the way in protecting our precious Earth and making our world a better place. And thank you to all those who supported their efforts by voting for their favourite project and to all those other sustainability champions we have not heard from yet,” she said.
Council’s Program Leader – Sustainability Debbie Firestone said the Tweed has so many hard working people active across our community with a deep passion and commitment to preserving and enhancing our environment.
“It’s been a great thrill to shine a spotlight on the amazing work they do and to see how strong their support network is through the People’s Choice voting,” Ms Firestone said.
The following people, groups and organisations were the award recipients:
Regenerative Agriculture Category: Trophy winner: All Natural Meat Co
Wildlife & Habitat Conservation Category: Trophy winner: Green Heroes
Tweed Sustainability Category:
- Youth Trophy winner: Josh Carpenter, Tackle Bin Project
- School Trophy winner: St Ambrose Student Green Team
- Community Group Trophy winner: Pottsville Beach Neighbourhood Centre
- Business Trophy winner: Summerland Credit Union
- Adult Trophy winner: The late Claire Masters
People’s Choice Vote winners:
- Regenerative Agriculture: Matthew and Henry Prichard, Cudgen Road Farms Pty Ltd
- Wildlife & Habitat Conservation: Team Koala
- Sustainability – Youth: Alyce Togo
- Sustainability – Schools: Sathya Sai College
- Sustainability – Community Groups: Nature Explorers
- Sustainability – Adult: Claire Masters
- Sustainability – Business: Gary Bagnall, New Leaf Cafe
For the full list of winners and details visit, www.tweed.nsw.gov.au/SustainabilityAwards.
Source: Tweed Shire Council Newsroom